Introducing iMotions 8.0
The Next Generation of Human Behavior Research Software
iMotions 8.0 represents a new milestone for human behavior research. Bringing together new integrations, analysis capabilities, and tighter synchronizations between biosensors, this release upgrades the research process in iMotions, from beginning to end.
Watch the video below to learn about the release directly from Peter Hartzbech, the founder and CEO of iMotions.
Features in iMotions 8.0
Watch the videos and read the content below to get more details about the new features and upgrades within iMotions 8.0.
options with R
New analysis options with R
iMotions 8.0 introduces a range of new, advanced analysis methods to streamline the research process:
- Gain access to EEG frontal asymmetry calculations to measure cognitive states associated with approach and avoidance behavior
- Calculate power spectral density for EEG data to quickly assess brain activity
- Obtain EDA / GSR peak detection data for measuring the level of emotional and/or physiological arousal
- R integration provides complete transparency of data analysis methods
iMotions 8.0 Release Notes
Expand for full release notes
- Data collection engine improvements: more robust and powerful when executing multimodal biosensor research. Timing of synchronized datastreams has been improved even further.
- Addition of Varjo VR as eye tracker: the display resolution of the Varjo headset operates at the level that the human eye can see, creating incredible visual fidelity that allows users to fully immerse and interact realistically within their environment. The eye tracking is carried out using a unique infrared illumination approach, and combined with computer vision algorithms, provides eye tracking accuracy of less than one degree of visual angle.
- R notebook integration: new analysis methods, such as frontal asymmetry and power spectral density calculations for EEG data, and automatic peak detection for GSR, are now available within iMotions as standard.
- Addition of key frames for gaze mapping: a unique, semi-automated solution to difficulties posed by technically demanding gaze mapping scenarios. The relative position of the area of interest can be defined – or distracting areas excluded from the analysis – using an intuitive and user-friendly tool. The algorithm will then learn from the defined scenes, and process the gaze mapping to obtain complete data accuracy
- A new integration with the Tobii Nano: an accessible, laptop-only eye tracker ideally suited to small screens. Provides a high-level of accuracy at 60 Hz
- Integration with the Emotiv Cortex SDK: this SDK gives access to the raw EEG data, accelerometer data, and the collection of Emotiv metrics, such as Stress, Relaxation, Engagement, Focus and more
- EyeTech updates: calibration improvements, initial settings files for VT3 Mini and VT3 XL updated, live EyeTech camera updates, improved EyeTech 200 Hz support, hint added to locate EyeTech SDK path, able to make use of distance parameter (in study setup) for EyeTech trackers
- Updated integration with the Smart Eye Aurora SDK: allow two computer setup for Aurora eye tracker, added verification to gaze calibration workflow, left and right gaze position is supported, auto start/stop Aurora application
- Additions to data export information
- Option to toggle the display of trail and stabilizing filter for gaze point
- Eye tracking device type will be available in signal processing settings
- Segment level R Notebooks will be executed by the Process Algorithms dialog
- Add mouse / keyboard events for Glasses stimulus
- Improved static AOI editor
- Option to exclude Face and Environment camera recordings when saving study to file
- Hide respondent address, city and telephone fields
- First and Average Fixation Duration along with Mouse Clicks added to static/moving AOI exports
- Added support for using Shimmer ExG devices in Respiration mode (sensor type set in global settings)
- Include “marker text” field in detailed event list
- Graphical improvements to zoom option in Scene Editor
Current customers can read more and download iMotions 8.0 here (login required).
Important note for existing iMotions (7.2 and older) users
Important note: if you have iMotions installed (7.2 and older) then the following applies to you.
iMotions 8.0 is a parallel installation and hence can be used next to any other iMotions version (7.2 and older). However, you cannot migrate any studies from 7.2 or older into 8.0. Hence, if you are currently collecting data we would recommend you to remain with your current iMotions version till the end of your project before switching to 8.0.
A powerful software for powerful research
The iMotions Platform offers simple setup, flexible integrations and easy study management for faster research and improved validation of human responses.
- Full integration and synchronization support for 50+ biosensors such as eye tracking, facial expression analysis, electrodermal activity / galvanic skin response, EEG, EMG, and ECG hardware.
- API and LSL for additional sensor integration.
- Built-in-survey tool to lessen bias and triangulate respondents’ stated answers with nonconscious responses from biosignals